Good Morning! Leslie and I were away at a conference in Carlsbad along with the other District Superintendents of the USA/Canada where the Board of General Superintendents led us in these days for special meetings. What a special time we enjoyed together! We were encouraged… inspired… challenged… and commissioned to see greater things takes place through the power of the Holy Spirit working among us. I am still of belief that these are the greatest days for the church to rise up and preach the truth of Jesus Christ and His Word!
So… have you been watching any of the Olympics? It’s a bit tough to stay on top of things with the games taking place clear across the other side of the world. So what are your favorite winter sports to see in the Olympic Games? I enjoy anything that is fast and has lots of turns… downhill skiing, bobsled, snowboarding, speed skating…
ENCOURAGEMENT: Now it is God who makes both us and you stand firm in Christ. He anointed us, set His seal of ownership on us, and put His spirit in our hearts as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come. (II Corinthians 1:21-22) This passage of scripture has encouraged me over and over again. The Apostle Paul has just finished communicating of some great hardship he has endured and great pressure he had suffered… and time and time again God delivered him. I know that there IS great suffering today in many parts of the world. Persecution towards Christian believers is huge. There are many people suffering today all because they preach the Word of Jesus. And I can’t even begin to grasp of their turmoil or suffering. My prayer is with them and for them.
Yet, even in our own places of work and ministry we encounter difficult situations. Conflicts arise. Issues that are tough to deal with come up… but I am so grateful that God is the One who does the anointing… He is the One bringing us to Himself and calling us His children… He puts His Spirit within us… and He will lead us through to victory.
Even on my wobbly legs, when I feel I can’t go on, as I commit my ways to Him trusting Him for clarity and direction, and I rise up from my place of kneeling on those wobbly legs, It is God who makes me stand firm in Christ!” Praise His Name!!!
DISTRICT MATTERS: Here are a few things coming up real soon:
- Holiness Summit: This Saturday, February 17th, Riverside Arlington Ave. Church of the Nazarene will be hosting a “Holiness Summit” specifically designed for pastoral staff* in the greater Southern California area, regardless of district. Beginning at 8:30 AM to 2:00 PM, we will hear from General Superintendent Emeritus, J.K. Warrick, and Dr. Roger Hahn, Professor of New Testament at Nazarene Theological Seminary on preaching holiness and the centrality of holiness in the New Testament, respectively. PLNU’s concert choir will also be joining us, providing times of music and worship. I am looking forward to this special day and I hope to see you there!
- District Assembly: As communicated earlier… we will begin our convention and assembly worship, celebration and business on Wednesday night, June 13 and finish up on Friday afternoon, June 15. The Ordination Service will be on Thursday night, June 14 at 7:00PM. Leslie and I enjoyed some very special days with our JGS (Jurisdictional General Superintendent) and his family – wife: Sam; daughter: Tsakani; and son: Emmanuel. We are excited to have Dr. Fili Chambo as our presiding General. You are going to love and appreciate his leadership.
- Prime Timers: . Please mark your calendars for April 23-27, 2018. Once again we will be at Murrieta Hot Springs. Brochures have been mailed out to most of our churches and if you did not get one, please let us know here in the district office, and we will see to it that you receive one.
- March Madness with Missions: Please take a look at the flyer… I hope to see you up in SLO!
- Peru Work & Witness Trip: We will be leading a group to the Amazon Jungle in Peru this summer to lead in a couple of Pastors and Leaders Conferences. The dates are set for July 9-24. The cost for everything is $2,200. The plan will be to fly from LAX to Lima, then to the jungle city of Iquitos for 6 days where we will hold the first Pastors and Spouses’ Conference. There will be plenty of work to be done on the buildings surrounding the District Center to keep everyone occupied. We will then return to Lima by plane, catch another flight to Jaén before heading to the jungle mountains to visit some ruins called Kuelap. We will then travel by road to Nuevo Horizonte where we’ll spend the next 5 days holding a Leadership Conference for the Aguarunas before returning to the states. Those who are interested can make an extra trip to Cusco and Machu Picchu at the end. Please let me know if you are interested in being part of this W&W Team.
- LADNYI: Upcoming events…
NYI Convention and Worship Night
June 9th 3pm-6pm
Location: Newhall Church of the Nazarene
Being that it is a Saturday night, overnight stays at the church will not be available.
Contact: Moises Arreola, Vice President – firstname.lastname@example.org or Josh Johnson Co-President – email@example.com
3:00pm-3:45pm – Welcome and Worship
3:35pm – 4:30pm – Structured Games (Gym) and NYI Convention (Sanctuary)
4:30-5:00pm- Pizza and Drinks
5:00-6:00pm – Worship, Devotionals, Voting Results
Registration for our annual Elev8 event in San Diego (over Memorial Day weekend) opens up on March 1st! Once this event is full they will not accept any late registrations! What IS Elev8 and how can you reserve a spot?? Keep reading:
Elev8 is held at Point Loma Nazarene University in San Diego and it is taking place from May 25th – May 28th! This retreat is for all students currently in 7th-12th grade! Price is $125 per student. The event begins with registration on Friday morning (11am) and ends on Monday morning by 9am. Our District will be staying together in dorm rooms on the University campus. We will also experience great times of worship and messages, playing/watching different sports competitions (basketball, dodgeball, volleyball, etc.) and talent competitions (preaching, singing, short film, battle of the bands, etc.), and much more!
Jr. High and High School Camp
May the Lord bless you this weekend! I love you and I hope to connect with you sometime soon…
Greg A. Garman
Los Angeles District Superintendent
Church of the Nazarene