Good Morning! As I was driving to the office the other morning, the radio host was interviewing Lea Thompson over the air. For those of us old enough to remember… she is the actress who played the part of Marty McFly’s mom in the 1985 movie, BACK TO THE FUTURE. I wasn’t listening too much to the interview but the interview got me thinking of 1985 once again… and their predictions of what life might be like in the future. So… in the second movie… Marty was thrust into the future… the date: October 21, 2015… As I reflect on the DeLorean and its flux capacitor… I’ve noticed that they got a few things right… and some things wrong:
- We don’t have any flying cars around… however, the guy who got mad at me on the freeway, sped around me and nearly flew past me.
- We do have touch screen TVs and monitors.
- We don’t have mini size pizzas that can be put in the microwave and instantaneously enlarged to GIANT SIZE.
- We do have cell-phones to communicate with each other anywhere and everywhere.
- We don’t have hover-boards available for anyone and everyone to move about just yet.
- We do have Facetime… Skye… and other forms of seeing each other on computers, phones, and media devices.
- The Cubs Almost made it to the World Series. Almost. Sorry, you Cubs fans. They didn’t call it correctly
Back in 1985 many of us were thinking that 2015 was sooooo far away. Leslie and I were married in 1985 and it was in that year we moved to the Los Angeles District. Our world has changed… and changed big time. Los Angeles has changed. Our churches have changed. We’ve changed. Change is happening all around. I love what Jesus said to His listeners while He was preaching The Sermon on the Mount. Matthew records Jesus in 6:34… “Do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself… each day has enough trouble of its own.” As I see life flying by… we often worry about tomorrow. And other times we think that we have all the time in the world. BACK TO THE FUTURE reminds me, as does the Bible throughout… Tomorrow is Here! We need to take care of business today. I’m so excited to see the many opportunities the Lord is laying at our feet today. Let’s not wait for tomorrow… it’s already here. But as we seek first His kingdom and His righteousness… THEN all those things that we need to know about tomorrow will be added to us.
DISTRICT NEWS: As I journey throughout the district, I am honored to experience what the Lord is doing among us. There are so many great ministries happening all around:
- L.A. First Church: I was privileged to be with three congregations this past Sunday worshipping with the Koreans. Pastor Sung Dae and Koom Soon Kim are doing an outstanding job in ministry. Though I did not understand much of what was going on… the Spirit was present and I appreciated their love and encouragement. I then worshipped and shared a little with the Filipinos where Pastor Manny and Hanzel Salva Cruz are providing an incredible ministry. What a joy it was to be present for their worship gathering! And finally I scooted over to the main sanctuary to celebrate in worship with our Spanish speaking church. Pastor Juan and Lina Fajardo, along with their team, are doing a great job in challenging the church to reach their community for Christ. I thank the Lord for the fine group that was brought into membership while I was there this Sunday.
CALENDAR: Please observe a few items below:
- The DCPI Church Growth Conference that was to be held next week has been postponed until a later date. More than likely in February or March. We will communicate the date to you very soon.
- Do you have the District Christmas Dinner on your calendar? Monday night, December 7 in Newhall at 6:00. The dinner is free for Lead pastors and spouses. The cost for staff is $15 per person.
- Spanish Pastors’ Day at the District Office: Saturday, October 24 from 9:00-12:00 noon.
- LADTC (L.A. District Training Center with Dr. Peter Lundell)
- Pauline Epistles (BIB 3053) Nov. 13-14 & Dec. 4-5
- Nazarene History and Polity (PAS 2023) Jan. 8-9 & Feb. 5-6
- Preaching (PAS 3043) Jan. 22-23 & Feb. 19-20
- District Licenses/Ordination Application and accompanying paperwork due in the district November 30th
CHURCHES OPEN: Hillside Community “English” (Rowland Heights), La Puente Spanish, L.A. 1st “English”, Newhall, Pasadena 1st. These two churches will be open the beginning of November: Ridgecrest and Valley View in Lancaster.
DISTRICT LICENSE AND ORDINATION APPLICATION TIME: All paperwork is due in the District Office November 30th. Emails have gone out to the pastors and possible candidates. You should also be able to access the paperwork on the LA District Training Center’s website: www.ladtc.org, under the Board of Ministry tab.
Once again, I want to express my thanks and appreciation to our entire pastoral team on the Los Angeles District. You are loved and appreciated. Your work and ministry is invaluable to us all. Thank you… I love you all!
Los Angeles District Superintendent
Church of the Nazarene