Good Morning LA District Family,
It’s another gorgeous day the Lord has made and I am rejoicing and glad to be alive in it! We need rain, but I sure am enjoying the sunshine. In my daily devotional life the Lord has been directing me to several encouraging truths… primarily in Paul’s first letter to the Corinthians: One of these truths he continually focuses on is the power of Jesus death on the cross… power of the bodily burial in the tomb… and the POWER OF THE RESURRECTED CHRIST. I am so grateful to Him who forgives, indwells and empowers. Jesus is our sanctifying Lord. Praise His name!
You read last week, or a few weeks ago of my desire to run in the LA Marathon this year to raise funds for the Arise Mission Church on our district. I am so thankful for the way people have responded. Not only from the LA District… but from other parts of the country as well. God is good! Now… as to my training: I’ve been trying to put in the miles to prepare myself for this race. Logging in the miles is tough when I’m going from place to place… meeting to meeting. With only 5 weeks left, and three weeks of real training (before the taper) I’m trying to fine tune these older legs to cooperate with the mind to get the job done. Once again, I’m so grateful that the Lord allows me opportunities to get outdoors and run. You all know how much I enjoy this.
ENCOURAGEMENT: … and asking that the way you live will always please the Lord and honor Him so that you will always be doing good kind things for others, while all the time you are learning to know God better and better. (Colossians 1:10-11 Living Bible) Do you have a Bible in your possession that was given to you many years ago? I do… in fact, I have several. This Living Bible was given to me by my mom and dad for Christmas in 1977. I was 17 years old.
What I especially love is the fact that one of my Christmas gifts that year was a Bible… and a Bible that was easy for a 17 year old to read and understand. Below, the scripture verse that my mom had handwritten she also wrote these words:
“We are praying too that you will be filled with His mighty glorious strength so that you can keep going no matter what happens – always full of the joy of the Lord. Merry Christmas 1977 Greg, From Mom and Dad”
The greatest gift we can leave our children is the gift of God’s Holy Word. Leading by example. Living for Jesus! Alive in His Spirit. I am so grateful for godly parents who showed me the way. I know without any doubt… they prayed for me daily while I was away at boarding school. And when I came home for vacations they never stopped praying for me or encouraging me to walk with the Lord. Are you setting the example for your children… grandchildren? Does your family know that you are praying for them today? Are you? Do your parents know that they are being prayed for?
DISTRICT MATTERS: Leslie and I will be away for a few days beginning this Saturday as we gather in Carlsbad with all other superintendents from the USA/Canada Region. The Board of General Superintendents will be present as well and leading us in worship and study. I look forward to getting away with my wife for a few days to gain some new insight.
- Women’s Retreat: I know that it was a retreat for women… and that is why I slipped away for only a moment to capture a few photos of their time together. Leslie, as well as several other women shared that they had an incredible District Ladies’ Retreat at The Oaks. I believe they have Rev. Janine Metcalf locked in for next year as the special speaker.
- Glendora: I was invited to participate in Glendora’s Faith Promise Weekend for Missions this past Sunday… and what a joy to be with the church family there. Missionary President Cory Autrey is doing an amazing job leading this church in so many different projects for missions. Thank you, Pastor Mike, for allowing me the privilege of getting involved.
- Prime Timers: . Please mark your calendars for April 23-27, 2018. Once again we will be at Murrieta Hot Springs. Details coming soon.
- Holiness Summit: This upcoming February 17th, Riverside Arlington Ave. Church of the Nazarene will be hosting a “Holiness Summit” specifically designed for pastoral staff* in the greater Southern California area, regardless of district. Beginning at 8:30 AM to 2:00 PM, we will hear from General Superintendent Emeritus, J.K. Warrick, and Dr. Roger Hahn, Professor of New Testament at Nazarene Theological Seminary on preaching holiness and the centrality of holiness in the New Testament, respectively. PLNU’s concert choir will also be joining us, providing times of music and worship. I am hoping to see you there. I am looking forward to this special day!
- March Madness with Missions: Please take a look at the flyer … I hope to see you up in SLO!
- Save the Dates:
- A. District Conventions and Assembly: June 13 – 15 at PazNaz.
- PALCON: July 30 – August 1, 2018 at PLNU. Please get this on your calendars today. This event only takes place once every four years. Details to be out real soon.
- Pastors & Spouses’ Retreat: Change of date… the new date is October 8 – 10 at the Seacrest Hotel in Pismo Beach. $400 per couple.
I love you and I look forward to seeing you down the road somewhere. May the Lord bless you this weekend with His holy presence!
Greg A. Garman
Los Angeles District Superintendent
Church of the Nazarene