November Greetings to You!
Don’t forget to change your clocks before going to bed on Saturday night. Make sure you move them BACK an hour so you get an extra hour of sleep!
With less than 2 months before we enter the New Year, we come to this period of time when we’re reminded of the many reasons we have to be thankful. Thanksgiving Day is now less than three weeks away. Plans are underway for how we’ll spend those days with family and friends… and then it’s the Advent Season… another reason to be thankful. Though, the L.A. Dodgers fell slightly short of their ultimate goal of winning the World Series, it’s probably been a very good celebratory event for the city of Houston after all they’ve been through. So… perhaps half of the country is thankful for the outcome. I don’t know.
But today, I am thankful for every pastor on our district! I trust that your local church took some time… somewhere in these recent days to express their appreciation to you, for all you do, and the journey you are on together as you proclaim the grace and peace of the Lord in our lives. I love you, pastor, and I am so thankful for the time you spend preparing yourself to preach, lead, and love each and every week. I don’t have the opportunity to meet up with every one of you this month, but I do hope that you will be able to come to the District Christmas Dinner we have scheduled this year at our Immanuel Temple City Church on Monday night, December 4 at 6:00. I hope to see you there!
ENCOURAGEMENT: Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouth, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. (Ephesians 4:29-30) Boy… this can be hard to do sometimes, can’t it? Quite often we are so quick to speak our minds. Yet, the Apostle Paul reminds us that we must guard our tongue. If what I’m about to say is not glorifying the Lord, or edifying the church body… I best keep my mouth shut!
It’s interesting that there is only one other instance in all scripture where this second sentence is found, to not “grieve the Holy Spirit…” and it’s found in the Old Testament. (Isaiah 63:10) “Yet they rebelled and grieved His Holy Spirit. So He turned and became their enemy and He Himself fought against them.” And oh boy, oh boy!!! I don’t know about you, but as I take a closer look at my own life… I’ve got enough struggles and battles of my own… I do NOT need the Holy Spirit turning on me and fighting against me.
As we enter this wonderful month of Thanksgiving may we all remember the greatest opportunities we have to bless others. Our mouths can be such an incredible tool for blessing… or it can be used to bring ruin. Let’s glorify Jesus… and build each other up! I love you and I look forward to celebrating these days along with you.
DISTRICT MATTERS: There are a number of coming up and are just around the corner…
- Thanksgiving Offering: Let me remind you that Sunday, November 19th is our annual Thanksgiving Offering Sunday. Will you prepare, even now, to share with your churches the great privilege of participating with all churches around the globe… in 162 world areas… as we receive an offering to be used for Global Missions. Our charge is to make Christ-like disciples in all the nations.
- Women’s Retreat Information: I hear that spaces are filling up quickly, so please make sure to reserve your spot today!
- Temple City Immanuel: Last Saturday night I was invited to take part in the 30-Hour Famine for Hunger at the T.C. Church where Pastor Jeff Lin and his team were leading a great group of young people in this fundraising effort. More than 60 youth came to this ministry night where they fasted for 30 hours, prayed together, shared in outreach, listened to the Word, and played some games. What a special night and day they enjoyed together. Great job, church!
- Lone Pine: On Sunday I went on up into the high desert to our Lone Pine Church where I had the privilege to preach the Word. Again… I simply enjoy going up that way to visit the church in Lone Pine. May the Lord bless Doug and Sherrie Wilson as they lead this church until we get our next pastor!
- Multi-Congregational Church Meeting: All pastors and leaders of multi-congregational churches and ministries are invited to take part in a one-day consultation at the Northridge Church on Monday, November 13 from 10:00AM – 6:00PM. Dr. Ron Benefiel from PLNU will be present to share in this one-day meeting. If you would like further information, please contact Pastor Josue Tigüilá or Pastor Josh Santin.
- District Pastors’ Day: Please don’t forget about our District Pastors’ Day in Camarillo on Tuesday, November 14 from 8:30-2:00. Breakfast goodies will be provided as will lunch. The topics to be covered are much needed items we deal with on a regular basis. I hope to see you there. Pastors… PLEASE BE SURE TO BRING WITH YOU KEY LEADERS FROM YOUR CHURCH. **REMINDER: NEED YOU TO RSVP THROUGH THE DISTRICT OFFICE AS SOON AS POSSIBLE SO WE CAN HAVE A HEADCOUNT FOR LUNCH. Thank you!
- District Christmas Dinner: This year, as you have seen, the dinner will take place at our Temple City Church on Monday night, December 4 beginning at 6:00PM. I do hope to see you there. **REMINDER: THE DEADLINE TO RSVP FOR THE DINNER IS NOVEMBER 10TH. PLEASE CONTACT VANIA AT THE DISTRICT OFFICE TO CONFIRM RESERVATIONS. firstname.lastname@example.org
I love you and am praying for you these days. May the Lord guide us together as we reach out to win those who work and live around us to Jesus! May we disciple those who come through our doors! And may we equip them all for further ministry!
Greg A. Garman
Los Angeles District Superintendent
Church of the Nazarene