Greetings on a Warm Sunny SoCal Day!
As I begin these Few Thoughts, since adjournment of our District Assembly, let me share my appreciation to all of you for your involvement and participation in one way or another. It was wonderful to be back together at PazNaz. You already are fully aware of the many people it takes to make for a successful assembly. People like Shay, Vania, Carol, Ed, David Morse and Dan Doctorian who work endlessly behind the scenes… and then those of you who were back and forth, up front, leading, directing, singing, giving reports… and so much more. THANK YOU!!!
Having had some very busy weeks leading up to the General Conventions and Assembly in Indy… and then returning home to quickly transition into our own District Conventions and Assembly, we’ve decided to calm things down a bit in the District Office this week. So I decided to work from home on Monday and Tuesday before heading up to Granite Ridge on Wednesday to visit the Sr. High Camp… return quickly to be part of the Church Planting Conference at Casa Robles on Thursday and Friday before heading back up to Pismo Beach to install Pastor David Hutsko as the new Lead Pastor. God is good!
ENCOURAGEMENT: SUMMER IN THE PSALMS Teach me Your way, Lord, that I may rely on your faithfulness; give me an individual heart, that I may fear Your name. I will praise you, Lord my God, with all my heart; I will glorify Your name forever. For great is Your love towards me; You have delivered me from the depths, from the realm of the dead. (Psalm 86:11-13) There is one thing that is always true. The Lord is continually teaching. He’s constantly teaching me… teaching you. The question remains, “How much am I learning?”
David is quick to say that his desire is to live in faithfulness to the Lord and to respect Him in love and great reverence. The rear view mirror is so clear to see… for God has delivered me from my past… and sets me free. Free to live as His holy child to bring praise and glory to the name that is above every name, Jesus Christ, God’s Son.
These psalms are a brief reminder that the world we live is twisted, torn, and in so many ways… all messed up. Yet, I can’t think of a better time in the history of the church than for the church to be the church TODAY! We don’t have to have all of the answers… and we don’t. But, we do know who DOES have all the answers, so let’s lead those around us to the One who loves and cares for our every need. I am most certain that Jesus STILL wants to do some teaching… are you listening? Even when He may teach you and lead you through the fire… through the flood… through the sorrow… But praise the Name of Jesus… He always leads us through the BLOOD! Because there is still Power in the Blood! May Jesus be blessed in and through you today… through me!
DISTRICT MATTERS: It’s been a couple of weeks since these Few Thoughts have gone out… so here’s a brief look at some things taking place around the district:
- Covina: On Saturday, July 8, I had the privilege of participating in Pastor Sonny and Cheryl Rivera’s 25th Wedding Anniversary and Renewal of Vows Ceremony. What a joy it was to be together with so many people from across the district! Congrats Pastor Sonny and Cheryl! We love you…
- Children of the Shepherd: I love the ministry of Pastor Mike and Barbara Vasquez in Hollywood. I was with them on Sunday night, July 9 for worship and what an exciting ministry of encouragement they have taking place! I would encourage you to step out and visit them from time to time. Their service begins at 5:00PM on Sundays. May Jesus bless you Pastor Mike and Barbara!
- NewNaz: Just this past Sunday, following District Assembly, I was asked to come and share at NewNaz all that God is doing around the district and beyond. Thank you Pastor Josh Johnson and your team for the wonderful ministry unfolding there at the church. Many of you remember the fire that we spoke of as District Assembly was beginning. You can see in one of the pictures just how near the fire came to the church. We thank the Lord for His protection.
- PazNaz: I was invited by Pastor Sam Chung to come and share a brief word with our Cantonese speaking Chinese at PazNaz a Sunday or two ago, and I took advantage to drop in on Pastor Marcos Canales with La Fuente Ministries and also in the 10:30 Service where Rev. Brad Strawn was preaching. May the Lord continue to bless this church under the leadership of Pastor Tara Beth Leach!
DISTRICT CONVENTIONS AND ASSEMBLY: As noted above… thanks to all of you for taking part in our assembly last week. I trust that the few days together were as much of a blessing to you as they were to me. I am most grateful to Dr. Eugenio Duarte and his leadership, and to all District Leaders, PazNaz, Office Staff, Worship Teams, Speakers and more… On Saturday morning Leslie and I met up with Dr. Duarte to show him around the district just a bit as we stopped by the gravesite of P.H. Bresee and then to the archives at L.A. 1st. A very special day indeed!
Sr. HIGH CAMP: Leslie and I just spent a few hours with our high schoolers up at Granite Ridge. We arrived just in time for lunch and observed several of their activities. Thanks to the Youth Pastors and leaders who are all up there with the Sr. Highers. I believe there are nearly 80 people in total.
Special Note from Pastor Josh Johnson:
I want to encourage you get registered for our LA District Annual Pastor’s and Spouse Retreat this year. Our committee is still working on solidifying a speaker for this year. We know that this will be a restful three days!
- Cost is $400 per couple – Please make checks payable to the LA District and mail them to the District Office at 225 E. Santa Clara St, #300 Arcadia, CA 91006
- Local resident with no room is $150 per person.
- Single with a room by themselves – $325 (Let me know ahead of time if you need a roommate to keep the cost down to $200 a piece as I will work to pair you up.)
Please register by August 20th by emailing me your name and how many you would like to register. firstname.lastname@example.org
Dates – September 18th-20th
Location – SeaCrest Hotel in Pismo Beach
Arrive as early as 4pm to check into the Hotel
I Look forward to seeing you there!!
Josh Johnson, Senior Pastor
Newhall Church of the Nazarene
P.K. BBQ & SWIM PARTY:
ATTENTION ALL LOS ANGELES DISTRICT PKS
WHAT: BBQ & Swim Party
WHERE: Pastor Greg & Leslie’s House: 25631 Bellerive, Dr. Valencia 91355
WHEN: Saturday, August 19 from 11:00AM – 2:00PM
We want to let our District PKs know how much we love and appreciate them, and we want to give our Pastors some much-needed time to go out to lunch, go shopping, etc. All you need to do is come… drop your kids off… and take off a few hours to enjoy your time alone… & we’ll take care of your little ones.
WHAT YOU NEED TO DO:
RSVP TO LESLIE GARMAN
661.645.8696 or email email@example.com
And bring a towel!
That’s it! Hope you can make it!
The month of August is so quickly rolling by. I pray that the Lord will grant you a wonderful and restful remaining summer as you spend some time with your family so that you are geared up and ready to go full throttle into the fall. These are great days to be active in ministry. I love you and I do hope to see you soon…
Praying for You,
Los Angeles District Superintendent
Church of the Nazarene