Summer Greetings! The air is warm… skies are clear… days are long… and the breeze is calm… I love these days. We might even reach triple digits! Remember: This is the day the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it. I do my best to still rejoice when days are near freezing… but it’s hard. However, on days like this… I’m looking at every opportunity to go out for a run.
I do want to thank all of our pastors and church leaders for helping us get the reports all in. There may be a few of you who have had some issues logging on and filling out the blanks… but with the help from both Shay and Vania here in the office… we are nearing the finish line. Several things have thrown us off our game plan this year, and the biggest one is that we have had to postpone our District Assembly one month because of GENERAL ASSEMBLY this month. And for those of you who don’t know about the General Assembly app, and you would like to download it from the app store… it’s free… and here it is: Nazarene GA 2017 Go on and find it and you’ll be able to follow the happenings these next two weeks. It’s a great way to connect!
ENCOURAGEMENT: SUMMER IN THE PSALMS I will exalt You, Lord, for You lifted me out of the depths and did not let my enemies gloat over me. Lord, my God, I called to You for help, and You healed me. You, Lord, brought me up from the realm of the dead; You spared me from going down to the pit. Sing the praises of the Lord, you his faithful people; praise His holy name. For His anger lasts only a moment, but His favor lasts a lifetime; weeping may stay for the night, but rejoicing comes in the morning… You turned my wailing into dancing; You removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy, that my heart may sing Your praises and not be silent. Lord my God, I will praise You forever. (Psalm 30:1-5, 11-12) There are so many truths in this psalm that ring loud and clear for me. How encouraged I get to think of the many times the Lord has lifted me up… sustained me… brought me out of the pit… forgiven me… And don’t you just love the way Jesus is so patient with you? How many times did He need to slow things down for His disciples? They didn’t get it… and I’m certain He may have wanted to thump them on the head a few times… but He waited patiently.
But the one phrase in David’s writing that catches my attention today is in the middle of this passage I have quoted: “But His favor lasts a lifetime…”. How great is God’s grace? It’s deeper than Crater Lake. It’s wider than the Pacific Ocean. It’s higher than Mt. Denali. So when John wrote “To all who believed in His name, He gave the right to become children of God.” That is favor! That is grace!
Therefore, I will wake up in the morning and begin my day believing in Him. As I journey through my day, my focus and desire is to live for Him. And as I close out my day, I rest in Him. To God be the glory!
DISTRICT MATTERS: With social media as active as it is… by the time I get my few thoughts out… most of you already know what’s been going on. But, allow me a moment to say that last week and weekend was a blessing to so many churches and ministries all across the district:
- Seminario Teológico Nazareno: Even if you can’t read Spanish… I’m most certain you can translate those three words. Last Saturday evening the graduation took place on the PazNaz campus. Thank you Dr. Ismael Joaquin, Pastor of our Santa Paula Church, for your leadership along with your many faculty and leaders who provide wonderful teaching to the many students. I would like to congratulate three of our LA District pastors/students for their graduation: Francisco and Guillermina Valenzuela and Vicente Maldonado. The evening was truly special and I commend these great people for a work well done!
- Oxnard: On Sunday morning, June 11, Pastor Alan Arevalo Jr. and his wonderful wife Geebel were installed as the Lead Pastor in Oxnard. With a nearly packed out church building, we worshipped, praised the Lord, prayed, and listened to the vision Pastor Alan has for the church. May the Lord bless this congregation in the days ahead!
- Blessed Generation Rwanda Choir: Back a few months ago I received an email from Dr. J.K. Warrick seeing if the L.A. District would be interested in hosting the choir from Rwanda. I sought Bonnie Traylor’s help for overseeing the week-long ministry… and she stepped up with great enthusiasm. Thank you Bonnie and Pastors Josué Tigüilá, Wes Thompson, Dan Bayer, and many others. I was privileged to join in on their final stop in the L.A. Tour as we worshipped together in Rosemead where there where a total of seven churches involved. The choir started off on Tuesday night at Casa Robles… then Wednesday night at NewNaz… then Thursday night with a combined L.A. 1st Church… then Friday night at San Fernando where they had nearly 200 jammed in the streets (including the mayor)… then up north to Atascadero for Saturday night where they spent the night at Granite Ridge… on Sunday morning they were in El Morro for a quick stop… and driving back down to Rosemead for Sunday night before sleeping near L.A. to catch the morning 23-hour Greyhound Bus to Portland. Thank you D.S. Simon Pierre and your group!
DISTRICT ASSEMBLY: In less than a month, we’ll be gathering together for our Annual District Conventions and Assembly at PazNaz… and I am looking forward to seeing you there. Below is the schedule of services and events for the few days together:
- Wednesday Night, July 12 at 7:00PM Missionary Service and kick off for the Conventions
- Thursday, July 13, 8:30AM-3:00PM NMI, SDMI, NYI Conventions
- Thursday Afternoon, July 13, 3:00-4:00PM District Assembly Convenes (Board of Ministry Report)
- Thursday, July 13, 7:00PM Ordination Service
- Friday, July 14, 8:30AM-4:30PM District Assembly
** HOTEL ACCOMODATIONS FOR DISTRICT ASSEMBLY July 12-14**
If you choose to book with either of these places please contact them directly
Hilton Garden Inn
199 N. Second Ave.
Arcadia, CA 91006
They have a special rate of $139, plus tax, per room, per night.
They have a block of rooms. They will hold until about 4 weeks prior to assembly.
Contact Jason Casas at his direct line 626.321.4498
The other option I have is using the following link with our corporate number, I believe the rooms are $149, plus tax, per room, per night.
311 E. Huntington Dr.
Arcadia, CA 91006
Corporate # 0560007353
Thank you for all that you do… I hope to see you soon… either in Indy, PazNaz, or somewhere along the way. I love you and am grateful for your active ministry.
Los Angeles District Superintendent
Church of the Nazarene