ENCOURAGEMENT: For this reason, ever since I heard about your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love for all God’s people, I have not stopped giving thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers. (Ephesians 1:15-16) It’s not just okay to give thanks… we should always be giving thanks. Most of us learned that way back when we were little. Just after Grandma would hand us a gift, we’d grab it, tear it open, and run off to play… mom would call us back, “Now what do you say?” “Oh yeah, thank you!”
So, today… I say thank you to so many people. I’m so thankful for my wife and family. Thank you Leslie, who stands by my side in so many things I do. She puts up with a lot. A whole lot. And when she doesn’t get to see me as much as we’d like… I quite often take off for a run. I’m thankful for our girls, whom I continue to pray for each and every day, that the Lord will keep them close to Him.
I thank the Lord for the office staff here at the District Center. They give so much and really do care for the Los Angeles District. I thank God for all of our pastors and staff… the many churches and congregations we have spread across the great Los Angeles District. What a joy it is to come… join you in the worship experiences I get each and every weekend. You are so faithful to carry out the mission of the church… making Christ-like Disciples in the nations.
I’m thankful for the privilege of worship we have in this land, as I think of the many people who have made sacrifices to grant us our freedoms in the USA. To many of you families who have lost loved ones in the service, thank you for allowing them to have served. We remember them on this Memorial Day Weekend.
Thank you, Pastor Karen Wood, for your faithful ministry to our district by providing leadership, hard work, and time to this Growing Together monthly newsletter. We love you and we are most grateful to you for everything you do!
DISTRICT MATTERS: June is nearly here… and some of us are getting ready to head out to Indianapolis for the General Conventions and Assembly. If you are going… I hope to see you somewhere in Indy. In the meantime, we continue to get all things ready for our own District Assembly in July. Thank you for your faithful work here on the district.
- Maranatha: I had the opportunity to drop in on Pastor Felix and Elaine Lam who continue to do a wonderful job leading our church at Maranatha among our Cantonese speaking members. Pastor Felix is also our Chinese languages coordinator for the district and does an exceptional job leading in this department. We love you!
- Temple City Immanuel: This past Sunday I had the privilege of installing Pastor Jeff Lin, along with his wife Louise and their two children, as lead pastor of the T.C. church. Allow me a moment to thank Pastor Charles and Lily Lin for their many years of faithfulness to the Lord and His church on our district as they pastored this church. Great days are in store for T.C. as the Lord leads this great church.
- New Life Fellowship-Lancaster: I was invited by Pastor Vern Alford to join them on Saturday for their giant Car Rally and Craft Fair. My Word! They had cars of all sorts and nearly every year. It was incredible to see what guys can do with cars. WOW!
- CONGRATULATIONS: Pastor Albert Hung was recently elected to serve as the District Superintendent of the Northern California District Church of the Nazarene. Pastor Albert and Christine Hung have been serving the Lord faithfully here on the L.A. District, pastoring the Monterey Park Church for many years now. Many blessings on you and your family in the journey the Lord has ahead for you!
- Santa Monica: Please be in prayer for Pastor Scott Savage who will travel to Manchester this weekend for two weeks as he continues his journey for his doctoral program. Pray for his safe travel going and coming, and also for the time he’ll spend while away.
SDMI CHAIR: This just in from Pastor Kathy Cannon:
Los Angeles District’s children’s summer camp will be held at Granite Ridge from Sunday afternoon, July 23 to Friday morning, July 28. The cost per camper is $250.00. Each church that participates will also need to send one counselor per 8 children. The cost for each counselor is simply the camps out-of-pocket expenses which are $125 per counselor.
The District’s SDMI committee has (3) full scholarships, (5) $100 scholarships and (4) $25 scholarships for campers this year – which will be randomly awarded on June 1. All campers who are registered by that date are eligible to win. If you would like to enter your campers in the scholarship drawing, please contact Kathy Cannon at Kathy@newnaz.org There are a lot of new and innovative activities at Granite Ridge. Great speakers, tons of fun, spiritual growth, and new friends. This experience will have a lifelong impact on the children in your church. Please do not hesitate to contact Kathy if you have any questions!
NYI PRESIDENT: And this just in from Pastor Aaron Caluza:
Pastors and Youth Workers,
I wanted to let you know we’re going to be sending emails through a new service. You may have just received one from us. If you’re not seeing it, check your Promotions or Spam folders and drag and drop into your main inbox. If you can’t find it, check out the following info it communicated.
|NYI MID HIGH CAMP 2017
We’re very excited to be hosting a summer camp with our middle school students in mind! Mid High camp is for any student entering 6th, 7th, and 8th. We hope you’ll consider being part of a week filled with high energy games, team competitions, and an encounter with God as we seek him together. (Click photo above for Mid High Camp forms.)
Los Angeles District
I pray that all is well with you, your family, and church. These are great days to be in ministry. Some of you have been asking about the time periods for District Assembly… I will be getting that information in detail to you, hopefully, by next week. However… here is a brief glance at the 3 day event:
- Wednesday Night, July 12 at 7:00PM Missionary Service and kick off for the Conventions
- Thursday, July 13, 8:30AM-3:00PM NMI, SDMI, NYI Conventions
- Thursday Afternoon, July 13, 3:00-4:00PM District Assembly Convenes (Board of Ministry Report)
- Thursday, July 13, 7:00PM Ordination Service
- Friday, July 14, 8:30AM-4:30PM District Assembly
I love you and look forward to seeing you.
Los Angeles District Superintendent
Church of the Nazarene